eventh Grand Slam title. "Of course, there is plenty of motivation from

in Share With Other Members Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 pm
by sakura698 • 1.170 Posts

PHILADELPHIA -- Lewis Katz, a self-made man who built his fortune in New York parking lots, billboards and cable TV, and went on to buy the NBAs New Jersey Nets, NHLs New Jersey Devils and The Philadelphia Inquirer, died in a weekend plane crash. Soccer Jerseys For Sale . He was 72. Katz died Saturday night in a Massachusetts crash that claimed six other lives. His death was confirmed Sunday by his son, Drew, and his business partner Harold H.F. "Gerry" Lenfest. Katz grew up in working-class Camden, New Jersey, and worked as a lawyer before earning hundreds of millions of dollars investing in the Kinney Parking empire and the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network in New York. He went on to become a major philanthropist in the Philadelphia region. "Youve got to make money in the world that we live in, in order to accomplish what your ultimate goal is. But along with making money, equally important is preserving, for the community, a community trust," Katz testified at an April hearing on the Inquirers sale. "Thats what this paper represents." Tributes poured in from prominent figures in sports, media, politics, business and education, reflecting the wide range of his interests and charitable endeavours. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver called him "a visionary"; the Yankees held a moment of silence before Sundays game. Temple University recalled his recent advice to graduates to "have as much fun as you can conjure up." "He was a visionary businessman who touched the lives of so many with his tireless pursuit of innovation and enterprise, as well as his deep commitment to his family, friends and community," Silver said in a statement. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman in a statement called Katz a man of "tremendous influence" and sent condolences to Katzs family and "the many organizations that benefited from his philanthropy." Katz, in his April testimony, said he had lost money on both the Nets and Devils, but made it big through the 2012 sale of the sports cable network. "We lost our shirt in the Devils and the Nets," he testified. "But for the YES network, Id be back in my law office in Cherry Hill, waiting for the clients to come in again." He hoped to be a hands-off owner of the Inquirer, where his longtime companion, Nancy Phillips, was the city editor. "Im spending, hopefully, a lot more time with my grandchildren and Ive opened a school in Camden for approximately 300 children," he testified. "Im not active in business, anymore." Katz had agreed to invest $16 million for a 26 per cent stake in the Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News in 2012 at the behest of former Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, who wanted to return the newspapers to local ownership after a bankruptcy that left them in the hands of New York hedge funds. But a feud with rival investor George Norcross, an equally powerful business leader, over the direction of the news business forced him to be more a more active owner. Katz filed suit last year to stop Norcross from firing Pulitzer Prize-winning editor Bill Marimow. He succeeded, then joined Lenfest in bidding $88 million to buy out Norcross and his allies at an auction Tuesday. "He was very creative, as a person and as a business partner," Lenfest said. "He thought beyond the edge. He had wonderful, creative ideas." The sale had been set to close June 12, but will now be delayed for 30 days to give Katzs family time to get the estate in order, Lenfest said. "Well lose his expertise, but the paper will continue because we both intended to put a new CEO in charge of the day-to-day operations," Lenfest said. Drew Katz will take his fathers seat on the board of directors, Lenfest said. "My father was my best friend. He taught me everything," Drew Katz, who was often seen at his fathers side at business events, said in a statement on behalf of him and his sister. "He never forgot where and how he grew up, and he worked tirelessly to support his community in countless ways that were seen and unseen." Katz had recently given $25 million to Temple University for its medical school, and had previously given $15 million to another alma mater, Dickinson Law School, where he had graduated first in his class. He also supported the Boys & Girls Clubs in Camden, along with many Jewish charities. Katz recently helped fund a charter school in impoverished Camden. "There are so many organizations that he endowed, many anonymously," Marimow said Sunday. Marimow described Katz as a brilliant man and generous philanthropist who developed a love for journalism from a college stint working for the syndicated columnist Drew Pearson. "That really inspired an appreciation and a love for journalism that lasted his whole life," Marimow said. His wife, Marjorie, died in December. His survivors include his son, daughter Melissa, and several grandchildren. Katz, a classmate of Bill Cosby in Temples 1963 graduating class, had spoken at the schools commencement last month, and received an honorary doctorate. "Life in my view is meant to be enjoyed," he told the graduates. "Its meant to have as much fun as you can conjure up" Fake Soccer Jerseys . Summers has seen scant playing time with the Coyotes since being selected 29th overall by the club in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, having played in 47 career NHL games. Cheap Soccer Jerseys . He was 90. The team announced Monday that Adams had died, saying he "passed away peacefully from natural causes." The son of a prominent oil executive, Adams built his own energy fortune and founded the Houston Oilers. https://www.cheapsoccerjerseysjustwholesale.com/ . General manager David Poile called signing Ribeiro a great opportunity to add a talented, experienced and creative centre Tuesday when he introduced the veteran at a news conference. Ribeiros contract is worth $1.05 million after being bought out of the final three years of a $22 million contract by the Coyotes recently.NHL broadcaster Pierre McGuire admitted he was taken by surprise when at the end of his post game interview with P.K. Subban following the Canadiens Game 7 win over the Bruins in the second round, after the Montreal defenceman planted a huge kiss on McGuires forehead as he exclaimed, "Yeah baby!" before heading off to celebrate with his teammates in their dressing room. "I didnt see that coming at all," McGuire told TSN.ca recently. But what McGuire has always seen coming was the performance and level of play Subban showed in the Canadiens run through to Game 6 of the 2014 Eastern Conference Final. Subban finished the playoffs with 14 points in 17 games, with seven of those points coming in that series win over the Bruins. He played a major role in helping Montreal upset the Presidents Trophy winners and helped lead his team to within two wins of their first Stanley Cup Final berth in 21 years. As McGuire pointed out, it wasnt just Subbans skill - that helped him win the 2013 Norris Trophy - that allowed him to take a big step forward in the playoffs, but also the enthusiasm he showed in that interview and how he applies that both on and off the ice. "I remember when P.K. went to his first World Junior Championship and talking to him before he flew over to Pardubice," McGuire said. "He was beaming and just so excited to go over there and to be part of the experience. Obviously then he was such a raw talent and hes worked hard to get to where he is now. But that excitement and enthusiasm for the game has never faded. Its still there now and thats a main reason for what youre seeing now. Thats why hes a leader. He loves the game; he plays it the right way and youre seeing that more and more now. Can he improve? Yes and hell tell you that. But what youre seeing now is the potential anyone who knew him well saw." While winning the Norris Trophy last season impressed his teammates, that passion for the game and what he did to help the Canadiens go deep into the playoffs was equally if not more impressive. "Hes definitely maturing and hes showing why he won the Norris Trophy," said teammate Carey Price on Saturday. "He had an excellent postseason. For us to win the Cup, were going to need him to play that way. Hes a fun-loving guy; hes fun to hang out with and he makes it enjoyable to come to the rink every day. Hes a really good buddy of mine obviously and I was happy to see him succeed in the playoffs and prove a lot of doubters wrong." Canadiens defenceman Mike Weaver was acquired at the trade deadline and in his short time as Subbans teammate, realized how infectious the 25-year-olds love of the game was having an effect on him.. Wholesale Soccer Jerseys. "I think a lot of the time the enjoyment of the game is sometimes forgotten," said Weaver, who is an unrestricted free agent in July. "You almost gotta get back to the time when you had fun playing hockey and instead of it being a job, its more of a privilege. Playing with him and even in playing in Montreal, I started to enjoy the game again." When told of Weavers comments, a flattered Subban told the media that enjoying the game and embracing the moment has always been an important part of his approach. "I enjoy every moment," Subban said on Saturday. "Through the ups and downs you have to because as much as careers are long, theyre short too. You just dont know what can happen so you have to enjoy your time when youre out there. The playoffs are a fun time to play and I obviously enjoy playing that time of year." Subban, who is a restricted free agent again this July (this time with arbitration rights), will continue to be a hot topic as the offseason gets under way. But before he headed off for what will be his shortest summer yet as an NHLer, he made it clear he wants to continue to enjoy the playoff moments with the Canadiens and help them build towards and achieve their ultimate goal of winning their 25th Stanley Cup. "Theres something about that," Subban explained. "Theres something about building a team and being part of a special group that youve seen grow from the bottom up and add blocks along the way. Theres something special about winning with a team like that. I believe we have an opportunity to do that here. I look at the Montreal Canadiens winning the Cup in 93 and only being to the conference finals two times since then, and Ive been to them both times. A lot of guys go their whole career and never make it to a conference final and get to within two wins of a Stanley Cup Final, so I understand the importance of taking advantage of those moments. Its unfortunate we didnt get that done this year, but I know that the future is bright and theres going to be plenty of opportunities for us to redeem ourselves and take that next step." James Murphy is a freelance reporter who also writes for NHL.com, the Boston Herald and XNsports.com. He covered the Boston Bruins/NHL for last 11 seaPHILADELPHIA -- Theres been no slowing down Andrew McCutchen or the Pittsburgh Pirates lately. Jose Canseco Blue Jays Jersey . The reigning NL MVP hit the first inside-the-park homer of his career and the Pirates protected their lead in the wild-card race, beating the Philadelphia Phillies 6-3 Wednesday night. Russell Martin also homered in the fifth inning, and the Pirates bullpen helped secure the teams sixth victory in seven games. McCutchen tied the score when he scored standing up after his drive off the wall in straightaway centre field. "With (McCutchens) speed," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said, "it was an easy finish for him." The star slugger said he knew he had an inside-the-park homer when the ball first struck the wall. "Its brick, so anything coming that hard is going to come off it and go that way," he said. "I knew when it hit the wall that I had a good chance." The last-place Phillies have had a difficult time trying to contain McCutchen, who is 18 for 36 in his last 10 games against Pittsburghs in-state rivals. Two batters after McCutchens electrifying homer, Martin gave the Pirates the lead for good with a more-traditional long ball. He sent his ninth homer of the season a few rows deep into the centre-field seats, putting Pittsburgh ahead 4-3. Pittsburgh starter Vance Worley (7-4), who pitched two seasons for the Phillies, won in his return to Philadelphia since being traded in 2012. The Pirates bullpen, which entered with the NLs fifth-best ERA, kept Philadelphia hitless for four innings. Bobby LaFromboise, John Holdzkom and Tony Watson pitched clean innings, and Mark Melancon did the same in the ninth to convert his 28th save in 32 opportunities. Hurdle said Worley had "inconsistent command," forcing him to rely on his bullpen to pick him up. Worley agreed with his managers assessment. "Stuff was sloppy and did the opposite of what I wanted the ball to do," he said. "It seemed like my four-seam (fastball) was sinking, and my sinker was cutting, and my curveballs were nowhere in the zone. And if I threw my cutter right it was 5 feet short. I just had to keep battling and trust what I had and trust my defence behind me." Cody Asche doubled and scored two runs for the Phillies, who have lost three of four. Phillies starter Jerome Williams (3-1) helped Philadelphia more from the batters box than from the pitchers mound. The right-handers two-run single in the fourth doubled his career RBI total to four and gave the Phillies a 3-2 lead. Williams hit was the last of the night for Philadelphia. In the fifth, McCutchen and Martin, who finished with three RBIs, homered off Williams to erase Pittsburghs deficit. TRAINERS ROOM Pirates: 3B Pedro Alvarez has been diagnosed with a stress reaction in the fourth metatarsal of his left foot, for which the typical recovery time is four to six weeks. Alvarez has appeared in only one game since Aug. 26, when he first sustained the injury. Phillies: LF Domonic Brown exited in the sixth with a bruised left shoulder. ... LHP Cliff Lee had his left elbow examined by three physicians, including the teams, in recent weeks. He will remain on his present rehab plan and will not throw until November, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. ... SS Jimmy Rollins, who sustained a left hamstring strain Monday, has no timeline for a return, Amaro said. UP NEXT Pirates: LHP Francisco Liriano (4-10, 3.74 ERA) takes the mound for the rubber match Thursday. He earned a win Saturday, his first in his past seven starts. Phillies: RHP A.J. Burnett (8-15, 4.29) gets the ball Thursday night. He has gone at least six innings in each of his last six starts, a streak that dates to Aug. 8. ON A ROLL Pirates LF Starling Marte used a sixth-inning single to extend his hitting streak to 10 games, during which he is 16 for 40. He also doubled in the eighth and finished 2 for 4. Derek Fisher Jersey .com) - Guess whos back, back again? Josh Gordons back, tell a friend. Mark Eichhorn Jersey . Ferrer was unable to find his rhythm in losing 6-4, 6-2 to Teymuraz Gabashvili in his opening match while Nadal struggled past fellow Spanish player Albert Ramos 7-6 (2), 6-4. Nadal eventually overcame his 103rd-ranked opponent to reach the third round, rebounding from a surprise loss to Ferrer in the Monte Carlo Masters quarterfinals. https://www.cheapbluejays.com/1996h-mike-matheny-jersey-blue-jays.html . His big 2-minute outburst in the fourth quarter Tuesday night is all that really mattered for the Dallas Mavericks.LONDON - Fresh from a straight-sets loss to one of the games all-time greats, it was difficult for Canadas Milos Raonic to look at the positives from his performance at Wimbledon this year. He made it to the semifinals at the All England Club for the first time and was two wins away from becoming the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam mens singles title. However, his effort Friday against Roger Federer left him disappointed. The Swiss star broke Raonic in the first game en route to a comfortable 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 victory. "Looking at the big picture, the last two weeks have been in a lot of ways very successful," Raonic said. "I won consecutive matches and put myself into position of the final four here. There are a lot of good things to take from it. "If you had asked before the start would I sign to make the semis, I would have signed. But when you get to this point the greed of human nature takes over. You want so much more and theres nothing wrong with that." Raonic, from Thornhill, Ont., appeared nervous at the start of his first Grand Slam semifinal appearance, on the showcase centre court to boot. Federer, a seven-time Wimbledon champion, looked as relaxed as ever. Federer, who owns 17 major titles, broke once in each set and won 61 of 80 points on serve to make it back to a Slam final for the first time since winning Wimbledon in 2012. "I know I can do better," Raonic said. "I was not expecting to play my best, but I was expecting much better. I didnt deal with the situation well today, thats what I can learn from if I reach this situation again. "The worst would be to feel the same way as I do right now." Federer will play Novak Djokovic of Serbia for the mens crown on Sunday. Djokovic, the top seed, ran off six of the final seven points in the tiebreaker to beat Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (7) to advance to his third Wimbledon final in four years. Eugenie Bouchard of Westmount, Que., will play Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic in the womens final on Saturday. Bouchard hopes to become the first Canadian womens singles player to win a Grand Slam title. In addition, Vancouvers Vasek Pospisil and American Jack Sock will play Bob and Mike Bryan of the United States in the mens doubles final. And defending mixed doubles champions Daniel Nestor of Toronto and French partner Kristina Mladenovic will take on Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Hao-Ching Chan of Taiwan in semifinal play. Federers dominance against the eighth-seeded Raonic was total. Raonic had 17 aces but also had four double faults and conceded seven break points. Federer was clinical throughout and saved the only break point he faced. "I didnt put in the serves that I needed," Raonic said. "I usually serve better, but he came with the right shots every single time. He hit returns that didnt allow me to get into the match." Before this tournament, the last Canadian to reach a singles semifinal at a major was Robert Powell at Wimbledon in 1908, according to Tennis Canada. Montreal native Greg Rusedski reached the U.S. Open final in 1997 but he was representing Great Britain at that time. Raonic will rise three positions to a career-best ranking of No. 6 when the new ATP rankings are released Monday. He had not been past the second round in each of his three previous appearances at Wimbledon. "I would havee liked to have had more experience on centre court before the semifinals," Raonic said. Jim Clancy Blue Jays Jersey. "But it was not the physical things that bothered me. It was knowing the opportunities that lie ahead. I put too much pressure on myself." It will be Djokovics 14th Grand Slam final and 10th in his last 13 majors. Djokovic won the 2011 Wimbledon title and lost in last years final to Andy Murray. The 32-year-old Federer will be playing in his ninth Wimbledon final. If he wins, he will hold the outright record for mens titles, which he currently shares at seven with Pete Sampras and William Renshaw. Federer would also become the oldest mens Wimbledon champion since the Open era began in 1968. The Swiss great has slipped in the rankings the past two years and failed to get to any Grand Slam finals. This could represent his best chance for another major title. Federer, who has lost only one set and been broken just once the whole tournament, was asked how much it would mean to lift the Wimbledon trophy once more. "A lot," he said. "I must say Im unbelievably proud every time I can walk the grounds here and keep on playing this tournament. I know I dont have 10 left, so Ill try to enjoy it as much as I can. Clearly, the first one was unbelievably special in 2003. "And that I was able to play so successful for so many years here at Wimbledon has been an unbelievable thrill and that I get another chance to go through these kind of emotions is great." Federer holds a career 18-16 advantage against Djokovic, but this will be only their second meeting in a major final. Federer beat him for the U.S. Open title in 2007. Overall, Federer has a 6-5 edge in Grand Slam matches. Theyve faced each other only once before at Wimbledon, with Federer winning in four sets in the 2012 semifinals. "We know each others games," said Djokovic, who will move to No. 1 in the rankings with a victory, replacing Rafael Nadal. "We played many matches on different occasions. We played so many times in semifinals and finals of Grand Slams, different surfaces, big matches over the years. They were very exciting. "And, of course, most of the matches we play against each other went the distance. So Im going to be, of course, physically ready and fit to go the distance this time." The final matchup means that one of the so-called "Big Four" in mens tennis Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Andy Murray will walk away with a Grand Slam trophy for the 36th time in 38 majors. One of the four has won Wimbledon title the past 11 years, seven for Federer. Djokovic, who has lost in his last two major finals and three of the past four, is going for his seventh Grand Slam title. "Of course, there is plenty of motivation from my side to win this Grand Slam final after losing last three out of four," he said. "I want to try to get the title. It would mean a lot mentally for me." The 11th-seeded Dimitrov, with his girlfriend Maria Sharapova watching from his guest box on Centre Court, came in with a 10-match winning streak and had been seeking to become the first Bulgarian to advance to a major final. He pushed Djokovic to the limit but hurt his chances with eight double-faults including three in a row in one game. With files from The Associated Press. ' ' ' sons writing for ESPNBoston.com, ESPN.com, NHL.com, NESN.com, the Boston Metro, Insidehockey.com and Le Hockey Magazine. Murphy also currently hosts the radio show "Murphys Hockey Law" heard Saturdays 9-11 AM ET on Sirius/XM NHL Network Radio and 4-6 PM ET on Websportsmedia.com. In addition to that, he is a regular guest TSN 690 in Montreal and Sirius/XM NHL Network Radio as well as a hockey analyst on CTV Montreal. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: karthikrajan
Board Statistics
The forum has 3246 topics and 3247 posts.