chor Torontos starting rotation again in 2015.Dick

in Share With Other Members Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 pm
by sakura698 • 1.170 Posts

CHICAGO - As he approached the casket to pay his respects to Ernie Banks, a steady flow of memories came rushing back to Billy Williams. NMD For Sale .There were so many from their Hall of Fame careers with the Chicago Cubs and their decades of friendship. And there was plenty of reminiscing during Fridays visitation.People not only here in Chicago but people around the world recognize the type of individual he was, Williams said. Its beginning to sink in now — Ive lost a great friend, youve lost a great friend.Banks hit 512 home runs and won two NL MVP awards. But hes remembered as much for his boundless enthusiasm — despite playing on mostly losing teams — and his desire to connect with everyone he met.Fans have been placing flowers outside Wrigley Field and stopping in Daley Plaza to take photos of his statue, which normally stands outside the ballpark. The city and the Cubs took the unprecedented step of taking the statue out of storage — where it been kept while the ballpark is renovated — and putting it on public display away from its usual home.On Friday, dignitaries and fans, some pausing to snap a picture, streamed past his casket draped with a giant Banks 14 jersey and a large photo of him in a Cubs cap smiling right behind it.A memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, on what would have been his 84th birthday. After that, he will take one final trip to Wrigley. The procession will go by the statue before heading north past the ballparks famed marquee at the corner of Clark and Addison.Chairman Tom Ricketts said the Cubs will do everything we can to honour Banks and dedicate the season to him, although he did not have any details. He said they are still finalizing plans.Baseballs lost a great icon, Hall of Fame teammate Fergie Jenkins said.Jenkins talked about Banks love of day games and carpooling with him and Williams from the South Side to Wrigley. He also mentioned the nickname he gave Banks.Forget Mr. Cub or Mr. Sunshine. To Jenkins, Banks was AM and FM.He was like a radio. You couldnt turn him off, Jenkins said.Williams recalled babysitting Banks children and thanked them for lending me your father that many years. He said he tried to call Banks a few days before he died but was unable to reach him. When he got the news, it hit hard.It was hard to believe at that time, Williams said. I went to sleep. And then when I woke up that morning, I said, This is a dream. This is a dream. This individual, he made a lot of people happy. He was always joyous, and to wind up with a heart attack, it was really something.When I got the word, I was upstairs. I remember putting the phone on the bed and just putting my head on the bed and just thinking about the times we had through the years.One of Williams favourite memories was when Banks called to say he was going to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The ceremony at the White House was in November 2013 and Banks wanted his friend to attend.It was one of the moments we shared, Williams said. He was so joyous about it. I think back and I said, I was with Ernie for some of his greatest moments, and I really enjoyed that. Hes a guy that I will always — I will always — talk about, enjoy being his friend.Banks was not afraid to take on bigger issues, whether he was running for Chicago alderman in the 1960s or riding a Cubs float at Chicagos gay pride parade in recent years.People who did not really know Banks felt like they did.Longtime Cubs fan Trudie Acheatel recalled how he would walk around the ballpark talking to fans after he retired.He was so nice to us fans, said Acheatel, wearing a Banks jersey, plus a Cubs hat with two of his baseball cards and a pin in a protective plastic envelope attached. Ernie was such a wonderful gentleman.Whether he was talking to a teammate or a fan, Banks seemed more interested in learning about the other person than he was in discussing himself.In that sense, he was tough to crack. But he always found a way to connect, just like a great hitter.Ricketts saw it before his family purchased the Cubs. He met Banks at corporate events, and one thing struck him.When you do a speaking engagement, you have a contract. It says show up at this time, leave at this time, no autographs. Ernie would never leave. He would stay until the very last person got everything they wanted. He was just special that way. NMD Wholesale . -- Two-time AL Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana agreed Tuesday to a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles as he tries to come back from the second major operation on his left shoulder. NMD Cheap . Adam Lind provided the power and rookie starter Marcus Stroman had the best start of his young career as the Blue Jays dumped the Yankees 8-3 at Rogers Centre. Stroman, making his fifth start for Toronto, allowed one earned run and three hits over a career-high eight innings. https://www.cheapnmdoutlet.com/ . Clevelands manager had just watched his team lose 5-3 to Kansas City, which completed a 2-6 homestand and dropped the Indians 2 1/2 games behind Detroit in the AL Central.TORONTO - With spring training just over a month away, many big-league baseball players are starting to get back into their workout routines in preparation for the 2015 season.For Blue Jays knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, the pre-season plan is a little different. The veteran right-hander has to give his nails extra attention since theyre critical for his unique pitch.I just kind of let them go in the winter, Dickey said Friday. And then when it comes time for like around late January, I start treating them with some product and making sure that theyre filed right, and the nail hardener is on there, things like that.Dickey was joined by teammates Jose Bautista, Aaron Loup, Todd Redmond and Dalton Pompey for a media availability at Rogers Centre to kick off the Blue Jays Winter Tour. The tour will include stops in Calgary, Banff and Vancouver next week. A chipped or broken nail can significantly hamper Dickeys ability to throw the unique pitch, which can float, dive and flutter en route to the plate. The over-the-counter hardener is used so the nails can withstand the rigours of a full season.Dickey tries to keep his nails at a consistent length and also has to be mindful of tasks that other players wouldnt be concerned about — like making sure a nail doesnt crack while hes doing up a zipper, for example.He doesnt go into nail salons unless theres an emergency.I do my own stuff, Dickey said in a recent interview at a different promotional event. Im probably the only major leaguer out there that could go on the disabled list for a broken nail. NMD Replica. I dont trust many people with my nails. I do it all on my own.To throw the pitch, Dickey puts his index and middle fingers just behind the horseshoe-like seam on the ball. He digs his nails in on top and supports the bottom of the ball with his thumb on one side and fourth finger on the other.The thumb must stay off the seam to prevent the ball from spinning. Dickey then winds up and bends his wrist at an almost 90-degree angle before essentially pushing the ball out.With no spin, the ball floats toward the plate, often handcuffing batters with its slower speed and directional changes.Knuckleballers are quite rare as it can take a long time for a pitcher to master it. Dickey, 40, started out as a conventional pitcher but found the most success as a knuckler later in his career.So is it a fun pitch to throw?It can be. It can also be maddening, he said. When its going good, theres not anything better in the world. But when its going bad, it can be really ugly.Dickey won the National League Cy Young Award with the New York Mets in 2012 and joined the Blue Jays the following year. Hell be counted on to help anchor Torontos starting rotation again in 2015.Dickey reached the 200-inning plateau for the fourth straight season last year, finishing with a 14-13 mark and 3.71 earned-run average.Spring training begins next month and the Blue Jays will kick off the regular season April 6 in New York.———Follow @GregoryStrongCP on Twitter. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: ylq
Board Statistics
The forum has 3246 topics and 3247 posts.