entreman did the rest, dropping low to on

in Share With Other Members Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 pm
by sakura698 • 1.170 Posts

WASHINGTON -- Bernard Hopkins made some more boxing history, and did it in rather easy fashion. Wholesale Blues Jerseys . Then, the 49-year-old boxer showed his age, referencing a TV character that might have gone over the heads of many young fans. "I was so in my living room watching Archie Bunker," Hopkins said, playfully comparing himself to the main character from the 1970s series "All in the Family." "I was so relaxed, so relaxed." Already the oldest boxer in history to hold a world championship, Hopkins became the oldest to win a unification bout Saturday night as he captured a split 12-round decision over Beibut Shumenov of Kazakhstan. Afterward, the Philadelphia native sounded far from finished -- or satisfied. "The pound-for-pound best fighter in the world right now is Floyd Money Mayweather," Hopkins said. "Ill tell you, behind Andre Ward, who I believe is second and should be, Im not that far from the top three. My age and the way Im doing it. "Im just telling you, Im not done yet." Hopkins was in complete control Saturday and it was reflected in the statistics. Of the 608 punches thrown by Shumenov, only 20 per cent landed. Of the 383 punches Hopkins threw, he landed 49 per cent. "I didnt do that when I was 30," Hopkins joked. "He was really surprised the way I could stand there and let him miss." When the split decision was announced the pro-Hopkins crowd of 6,823 jeered its disapproval. Two judges scored the fight 116-111 for Hopkins. The other judge gave the nod to Shumenov 114-113. "I shut him out," Hopkins said. If there was any doubt about the outcome, it was removed in the 11th round when Hopkins rocked Shumenov with a chopping overhand right for the only knockdown of the fight, igniting chants of "B-Hop! B-Hop!" from the D.C. Armory crowd. It was a reminder for Hopkins of 20 years ago, when he fought for the first time in Washington, losing a decision to Roy Jones Jr. at RFK Stadium, right across the street from the venue where Saturdays fight took place. "It motivates me every time I come to D.C. The dressing rooms, it took me back," said Hopkins, who improved to 55-6-2. After a slow start, in which he fought defensively, Hopkins controlled the action, growing confident, aggressive and playful as the fight progressed. The fourth round saw Shumenov moving forward, but Hopkins landed the two best shots, both right-handed counterpunches, to secure the edge. In the fifth, Hopkins was doing more than counterpunching. A straight overhand right landed squarely to the cheek of Shumenov. By the sixth round, it was clear that Hopkins confidence was growing as he became the aggressor, initiating the action and landing a big combination. In the seventh round, Hopkins was feeling so good that he alternated leading with his right and left hands, befuddling Shumenov, who fell to 14-2. "Im kind of angry that I lost the fight," Shumenov said. "I am a true warrior." Hopkins-Shumenov was one of three world title fights on Saturday. In the first, Peter Quillin of Brooklyn, N.Y., retained his WBO middleweight belt and improved to 31-0 with a unanimous 12-round decision over Lukas Konecky of the Czech Republic. In the IBF welterweight title match, Shawn Porter of Cleveland also remained undefeated with a fourth-round knockout of Brooklyns Paulie Malignaggi, who took time off from his job as an analyst for Showtime, which carried the nights action. Stitched Blues Jerseys . They wanna make t-shirts about it and sell them at our next hockey game..DB: Wow, they want to make t-shirts? That sounds pretty amazing.MS: Yeah, I was also on the Top 10, I was number 1 today, so that was pretty cool. Blues Jerseys 2021 . According to the Globe and Mail, a decision between the NHL and the Players Association should come within the six months. "I can tell you, (a decision) shouldnt take all that long," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Globe and Mail. https://www.cheapblues.com/ .com Tours Nova Scotia Open. The 27-year-old Sloan, a former Texas-El Paso player from Calgary matched first-round leader Rodriguez at 10-under 132 on Ashburn Golf Clubs New Course.HAMILTON, Ont. - Gustav Nyquist scored once in regulation and then the shootout winner as the Grand Rapids Griffins defeated the host Hamilton Bulldogs 4-3 in the American Hockey League action on Saturday. Jeff Hogan and Calle Jarnkrok also scored for the Griffins (2-0-1) while Nyquist added an assist for a two-point outing. Petr Mrazek made 21 saves in the win. Greg Pateryn, Akim Aliu and Sven Andrighetto scored for the Bulldogs (1-1-0) as Robert Mayer stopped 38-of-41 shots in defeat. Nyquist scored the lone goal of the shootout on the Griffins third attempt. The games first scoring chance fell to the Griffins six minutes into the opening period, as a centering pass found Cory Emmerton alone in the low slot. But, Mayer was alert to the danger and moved into a butterfly to knock the puck clear. Louis Leblanc drew a penalty at 9:34 of the first, when Brennan Evans was whistled for tripping. The Bulldogs quickly punished that mistake to open the scoring on the ensuing power play. The puck shifted across the blue line to Pateryn and, with Patrick Holland drawing a screen in front of Mrazek, he released a low shot that bounced past the goaltender at 10:08. Holland nearly extended the Bulldogs lead in the opening minutes of the second, stickhandling to create space on the right wing, but rang a heavy wrist shot off the near post. The Griffins evened the game at 9:12, when Evans slap shot from the point took a fortunate bounce off the end glass and onto the stick of Nyquist to the right of the net, who elevated a backhandeed shot over Mayers shoulder. Cheap Blues Jerseys. But Holland and his linemates were not to be denied, and it was the Bulldog winger who created the games next goal just 18 seconds later to retake the lead. A centering pass came to Holland in the high slot and his second attempt on goal rebounded to Andrighetto on the right side, who slotted the puck comfortably into the vacant net with Mrazek out of position. The goal was Andrighettos first in the AHL. Hamilton, though, could not stay out of the penalty box, as the Bulldogs took four of the five minor penalties in the second. That trend proved costly when Andrighetto was whistled for high-sticking at 17:49 of the second, and Grand Rapids struck to tie the game on the ensuing power play. Nyquist found Jarnkrok with a well-weighted centering pass and the centreman did the rest, dropping low to one-time the puck past Mayer at 18:01. The Griffins punished the Bulldogs for another unnecessary penalty early in the third period, after Martin St. Pierre was whistled for cross-checking at 4:28. Nathan Paetschs initial shot from the point on the ensuing power play took a radical bounce through the crease and slid to Hoggan, who only had to tap it past a downed Mayer. Hamilton found the equalizer with the net empty and ten seconds to play, as Andrighettos initial effort on net bounced to Aliu in the slot, who snapped a quick wrister just inside the crossbar. Grand Rapids went 2 for 9 on the powe rplay while Hamilton scored once on three chances with the man advantage. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: ylq
Board Statistics
The forum has 3246 topics and 3247 posts.