ho took over after Ian Holloway resigned last Octob

in Share With Other Members Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:17 pm
by sakura698 • 1.170 Posts

LOS ANGELES -- Bermane Stiverne completed his long journey to a heavyweight title with one more punishing victory. Kevin Durant Shoes Sale . Stiverne stopped Chris Arreola in the sixth round Saturday night, claiming the WBC heavyweight title belt vacated by Vitali Klitschko. Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs), who was born in Haiti but grew up in Montreal, dropped Arreola twice in the sixth, and he was punishing Arreola again when referee Jack Reiss stopped the fight with 58 seconds left in the round. The Klitschko brothers had held every major heavyweight title for the past six years. Vitalis retirement into Ukrainian politics in December opened the WBC belt for the 35-year-old Stiverne, a late bloomer who hasnt lost in 13 consecutive fights. After beating Arreola by decision last year, Stiverne hadnt fought in nearly 13 months while waiting for Klitschkos decision to retire. The wait was worth it. "I studied and studied," Stiverne said. "I watched my opponent. I knew I could knock him out. ... I was patient. The plan was to let him get comfortable, and he soon as he gets real comfortable, then crack him. And thats what I did." Stiverne dropped Arreola (36-4) for the first time with a sweeping right hand to Arreolas left temple, sending Arreola wobbling and crashing to the canvas. Arreola rose and kept fighting, but Stiverne put him headfirst into the ropes moments later with another combination. After Reiss stopped the fight, Stiverne wept with the WBCs green belt around his shoulder while promoter Don King celebrated at the Galen Center on USCs downtown campus. "I knew it was a wrap," Stiverne said. "The way I trained, I knew I could knock him out because Ive got the power." Stiverne won a lop-sided decision over Arreola last April, breaking Arreolas nose in the third round. Arreola, who acknowledged training poorly for that fight, felt he lost the rematch when he got hit by the same punch that finished the first fight. "He has a tremendous right hand, thats exactly what it was," Arreola said. "I felt like I was winning the fight. He just got me with the same right hand. Couldnt get away from it, and after that, its all she wrote." The well-travelled Stiverne, who fought for Canada as an amateur boxer and trained in Florida earlier in his pro career, worked out of Floyd Mayweathers gym in Las Vegas for this bout. He is the first heavyweight champion of Haitian descent and the first champ not named Klitschko since Samuel Peter, who was stopped by Vitali Klitschko in 2008. Wladimir Klitschko, who holds the other three major heavyweight titles, is eager to claim all four belts by fighting the winner. But before that lucrative bout, Stiverne must fight unbeaten Deontay Wilder, the U.S. Olympic bronze medallist and the WBCs mandatory challenger. "With all due respect, I dont give a damn about Wilder or Klitschko right now," Stiverne said. "Right now, its about what I won." Arreola has lost both of his shots at the WBC heavyweight title, getting pounded by Vitali Klitschko in 2009 just up the street at Staples Center. The Los Angeles-area native was attempting to become the first heavyweight champion of Mexican descent. "I could have got back up plenty of times," Arreola said. "Was the fight stopped a little early? I believe so. But then again, the referee is there to protect me from myself. But I felt like I was winning the fight." Both fighters took advantage of the small 17-by-17-foot ring at the Galen Center, which was hosting its first boxing card. Stiverne landed the biggest shots in the opening round, but Arreola dominated the second and third rounds with a withering series of combinations, trapping Stiverne against the ropes. Stiverne laughed off the punishment and allowed Arreola to keep moving forward, content to counterpunch. "I wasnt hurt," Stiverne said. "He actually punched me, my mouth was open, and he busted my lip. I was trying to find out if there was food or something in my teeth, but it was my lip. He didnt hurt me in the head." Stiverne hasnt lost since July 2007, when he was stopped by Demetrice King. He fought to a majority draw with Charles Davis in 2009, but has stopped five of his last seven opponents. Air Jordan 18 Sale .com) - Mike Miller scored a season-high 21 points in a rare start and the Cleveland Cavaliers bounced back from their worst loss of the season with a 95-91 win over the Brooklyn Nets. NMD Sale . It looked like being another miserable day for Moyes when Ashley Westwood put Villa in front from a 13th-minute free kick. But Rooney headed United level seven minutes later, and the striker netted his 16th of the season for the struggling champions from the penalty spot before halftime. https://www.wholesaleshoesforcheap.com/yeezy-350-sale/ . Asdrubal Cabrera had four hits and three RBIs, Michael Brantley also homered and the Indians beat the injury-riddled Minnesota Twins 9-4 Thursday for their first three-game winning streak this season. LONDON -- This season at Chelsea, the Special One might well be Eden Hazard. The Belgium international produced another superb display on Saturday, scoring a hat trick as Jose Mourinhos team moved top of the Premier League with a 3-0 win over Newcastle while its main rivals in the race for the title struggled on the road. Liverpool exposed previous leader Arsenals frailties in a 5-1 drubbing of the Gunners at Anfield and third-placed Manchester City was held to a goalless draw at Norwich. Hazard, coming off an excellent performance in Chelseas surprise win at City on Monday, scored twice within seven minutes in the first half and added another goal from the penalty spot after the interval as the Blues leapfrogged bitter rival Arsenal. Liverpool went on a scoring rampage at lunchtime, netting four times in the first 20 minutes to end Arsenals eight-match unbeaten sequence with a bang. "It was a very poor day. We were poor defensively, offensively," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said after the hammering. "Liverpool played very well, so congratulations to them. But it was a poor performance on a day when we couldnt afford it." The loss will again raise questions about Arsenals abilities to win its first title since 2004 with the Gunners having already lost 6-3 to Manchester City earlier this season. "Defensively we need to be more stable," Wenger said. "Today we were too open. From the front to the back we were not at the level we are used to." Citys current goal drought continued as Manuel Pellegrinis team missed the chance to move top of the standings. Saturdays draw left City third with 54 points, two behind Chelsea. Hazards first goal came in the 27th minute, with the Belgium playmaker slotting home from Branislav Ivanovics pass from the right. Chelsea scored again on the counter-attack as Hazard played a beautiful one-two with Samuel Etoo. "I know today we are top of the league but I look to fifth place," Mourinho said, playing down the importance of his teams result. "I look to Tottenham vs Everton and Manchester United vs Fulham tomorrow and I want to be far from fifth. When we are far from fifth and have a Champions League position under control, then it will be time to look at Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool and see where they are and see the distances." City had scored 68 goals from 23 league matches before losing 1-0 too Chelsea and again struggled at Carrow Road against lowly Norwich, which earned a crucial point in the relegation fight. Air Jordan Sale. City hit the crossbar in the first half through a header from Alvaro Negredo but Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy otherwise spent a quiet afternoon as the Canaries missed a chance to snatch victory in stoppage time when Nathan Redmonds cross flew through the six-yard box just ahead of Ricky van Wolfswinkel. At Anfield, the Reds reignited their title challenge with a victory that boosted their hopes of finishing in the Top 4 as they look to secure Champions League football next season. Liverpool was irresistible in the early stages and all over Arsenal defenders, with every attack tearing apart the Gunners. Martin Skrtel scored in the first minute and doubled his teams lead nine minutes later. Raheem Sterling then made it 3-0 before Daniel Sturridge beat Wojciech Szczesny with a left-footed shot in the bottom corner. Sterling then completed a brace after half-time. Mikel Arteta pulled one back for Arsenal from the penalty spot. "We went out there and did what the manager told us. The first 20 minutes were unbelievable and its about the team. We worked as a team and we are getting results. It starts form the back and the boys have been excellent," said Sturridge in his post-match interview. Arsenal, which was handed its first defeat at Liverpool since 2007, will be looking for revenge when the two sides meet a week on Sunday in the FA Cup fifth round at the Emirates. In the bottom half, Crystal Palace leapfrogged West Brom and sent their opponents into the relegation zone with a 3-1 victory at Selhurst Park. Tom Ince and Joe Ledley scored on their debut for Palace, which has taken 16 points from a maximum 21 at home under manager Tony Pulis, who took over after Ian Holloway resigned last October with the Premier League club five points adrift of safety. Thievy Bifouma pulled one back for West Brom after the interval before Marouane Chamakh sealed the game from the penalty spot. Swansea manager Garry Monk enjoyed a perfect start as his team won the south Wales derby 3-0 against Cardiff to move away from the relegation zone and Hull moved a point above Palace after winning 2-0 at 10-man Sunderland. West Ham moved two points clear of the relegation zone with a 2-0 win at Aston Villa and Southampton drew 2-2 with Stoke in a mid-table encounter. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: ylq
Board Statistics
The forum has 3246 topics and 3247 posts.